Another loss

I just heard that another friend of mine has died of metastatic breast cancer. A young woman in her 30s, we became friendly when she was originally diagnosed and then when her disease spread. I had recently referred her to Dr G when she became disenchanted with her previous oncology care. She had extensive bone and brain mets, possibly lung and liver as well. I had tried to check in with her just this past week, but didn't realize that her health had failed so rapidly.

This is why breast caner is a tragedy. Here was a lovely young woman who hardly had a chance to start her adult life when her fast-growing cancer hit. She had to retire from work, could not continue the Jewish education she loved so dearly, and moved into a group house when she could no longer live on her own.

I wish I could say more, but want to protect her family's privacy. Nonetheless, I will try to go to her funeral and the shiva minyan tomorrow.

May her memory be for a blessing to all who knew her.